How to Add More Storage & Stay Organized in a Small Kitchen
We hear it all the time, “I need more storage space in my kitchen.” As families grow, you need more space for pots, pans, spices, and food. Many homeowners think that in order to get more storage, you have to completely renovate your kitchen. If you don’t have a lot of storage in you kitchen, there are several ways to add storage without completely redoing your kitchen.
Check out several ways to make the most of your kitchen storage below!
8 Ways to Make the Most of Your Small Kitchen
- Use stackable containers – Many families use storage containers to store leftovers and lunches. These containers are often unorganized and can take up a lot of cabinet space! Purchase containers that are stackable—they use less space and take less time to find the container and the lid!
- Invest in an island with storage – Islands are a great place to not only prep food but to also store your kitchen utensils! Often, if you have the space, you can add an island in your kitchen with little to no demolition. Simply match your cabinets and countertops and you can have a large space with plenty of storage!
- Hang mugs and more – Many of your typical hardware and home décor stores have hanging devices that make it easy to hang mugs, pots, pans, spoons, and more! Take advantage of your wall space and hang items to get them out of your cupboards.
- Store outside of your kitchen – Do you have plates and platters that are only brought out for holidays and special events? Store these items outside of your kitchen. Box up these items and store in closets or attics to help alleviate storage space in your kitchen.
- Store high – Do you have room above your cabinets? Install shelving above your cabinets to store items you do not need every day. This can be large platters, matching dishware, and more!
- Use storage bins – If you have many spices or baking supplies that you do not use all of the time, put them in plastic storage bins and store in pantries or at the bottom of cabinets. It also helps to label all of your bins so you can stay neat and organized.
- Create natural light – if you have the option to add a window or two in your kitchen, the natural light and brightness can actually make your kitchen feel larger!
- Install a pantry – Many pantries are built into the home; however, if you don’t have that option there are several ways to install a pantry. One easy way is to use large cabinets—similar to a wardrobe. This will allow you to store food and spices in places other than your kitchen cabinets.