Home remodeling projects can be complex and time consuming. Contractors are always offering advice about what you should do to make sure the process goes smoothly and gets done in a timely manner. But what about the things you shouldn’t be doing? Avoid the following for the best remodel yet!
5 Things to Avoid During Your Remodel
- Don’t put off decisions. It’s not a good idea to be indecisive while your remodel is underway. If you’re constantly changing your mind, it can delay the entire process—so make decisions early on and stick to them. Your remodeler can help you walk through certain situations during your consultation.
- Don’t buy your own materials. A remodeler or builder will get discounted prices when shopping in bulk and may have relationships with manufacturers that allow them more affordable pricing. You may think you’re saving money but even with a builder markup, the price will be the same if not lower—and you’ll be spending more time shopping around because you won’t have the knowledge that your remodeler has.
- Don’t have kids and pets running around the construction site. If you can avoid being at home while remodelers are at work, that is best. Make sure your children and pets aren’t running in and out of the room that’s being worked on and that you aren’t distracting your remodelers in other ways either.
- Don’t go too extreme with architecture that doesn’t match your home. You can always include splashes of color and unique architecture without choosing components that clash with the surrounding home design and detract from its beauty.
- Don’t start a remodel without a plan. This is where a good remodeler comes in. Make sure you do your research so you don’t end up with a builder that has no concept of design and requires the external help of an outside architect. A remodeler like Bath, Kitchen and Tile Center can help you establish a plan and then expertly implement it for you, so you aren’t juggling multiple contractors to get the project done right.